Thursday, March 20, 2014

Choosing A Career That Fits My Lifestyle

I'm the type of person that wants to do everything. And I do mean everything. Since a child, my aspirations have included: first female President of the US, lawyer, astronomer, working with monkeys like Jane Goodall, Belgian chocolatier, fashion designer, marine biologist, owning a pizza shop, and professional body piercer. (I'm pretty sure I'd also make a fantastic ice cream taste-tester.)

The older I've gotten, the harder it has been to make up my mind. To decide what I want to be when I "grow up". 

But I think I've finally made a decision. 

Here's a little look into my past. Since I learned where babies came from and the stork myth was debunked, I've sworn off ever having babies. Or having anything to do with babies. The baby comes out of WHAT?! That's just too gross!

Then I met my husband, Paul, and that all changed. I want a baby. In fact, I want all the babies. (If anybody needs me to take your baby, please raise your hand. Form a neat line to the right, and hand over those cuties.)

At the same time I discovered this longing, I was also starting my transition into a more natural lifestyle. With that came a lot of research into natural childbirth. 

Therefore depositing me where I stand today, determined to become a Midwife. That's right, I want to coach moms and babies through one of the most important day(s) of their lives. I want to be a part of that special moment. I want to encourage moms to embrace a natural lifestyle and seek the best for their children and themselves. Most importantly, I want to feel what life is all about. 

You can believe my family was a little surprised at my sudden 180 degree switch! I was surprised at myself. But it has become quite the passion for me. I can't get enough of the idea, and I'm excited about the future. 

Once Paul and I get back from our 6 month adventure in the Grand Tetons, I will be getting my Doula training, then off to Midwifery College. Meanwhile I plan on doing a lot of reading. Stay tuned, I'll be posting some interesting tidbits here and there, maybe some book reviews too!

No comments:

Post a Comment