Sunday, February 9, 2014

Reusable Alternative to Cotton Balls!

One of the goals I have for this project is to minimize my footprint on this earth. A small but simple way to start is by noticing one-time-use objects that would be easy to replace with reusable alternatives.

First Object Tackled: Reusable Cotton Balls.






These were crazy easy to make, and I already had all of the materials in my craft room! 

What you'll need:

Scraps of a super soft fabric
Scraps of your standard cotton (in a print that makes you smile!)
A little bit of batting


First you'll want to wash all of your fabric to keep away any weird shrinkage/warping from happening later on. These fall under the same lines of cloth diapers and cloth menstrual pads. You want them to be absorbent. If you use fabric softener, chemicals will stay on the fabric and make it less absorbent, so try to avoid using any!

Next you'll cut 3" circles out of both types of fabric. The soft fabric I used came from the baby blanket section of my local fabric store, and it feels AMAZING on my skin. If you aren't sure what to use, just walk around touching all of the fabric to the underside of your arm or your cheek. You're sure to only get a couple weird looks from other shoppers, so go for it!

Sew them right sides together, leaving about 3/4"-1" of space to turn it right side out. 

I stuffed mine with just a little bit of batting to make them a little fluffier. Hand stitch the remaining opening.

I also stitched a small line through the middles once they were done. Without it, the layers tend to slide around while you're using it.



I use these mainly for my facial care regimen, but they can be used for anything you would normally use a cotton ball for. A super easy project, and now I'm one step closer to my goal!






No comments:

Post a Comment